On our continual quest for better overall health and healthier teeth routines, we’re all searching for a holistic solution that changes our habits for good. Oil pulling may not be a silver bullet, but it’s definitely a routine you need to consider incorporating into your daily oral care routine.
What is Oil Pulling?
That’s a great question—and one we had ourselves when we first heard the term. Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic tradition that involves you swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth to remove stubborn toxins and bacteria. The idea behind oil pulling is to detoxify your body through your mouth by capturing bacteria with oil that then dissolves (or gets spit out).
There are many benefits associated with oil pulling routines. Some of the most prevalent ones include:
- Whiter teeth
- Stronger gums and jaw
- Decreased tooth sensitivity
- Kills bad breath
- Reduces inflammation
- Less likelihood of cavities and gingivitis
And that’s just for your oral health. Overall, oil pulling is also known to cure nasty headaches, clear your sinuses, and detoxify your whole body.
How Do I Do It?
Oil pulling can be done in three easy steps:
- After you wake up in the morning (seriously, right after) refrain from brushing your teeth or drinking anything. Instead, gently swish 1 tablespoon of sesame oil (coconut and sunflower oils can be substituted) in your mouth for 10-20 minutes.
- Spit the oil into a trash can—sending it down the sink can clog your plumbing—and immediately rinse your mouth with warm water or salt water.
- Then brush your teeth as you normally would (and floss if that’s part of your morning routine).
It’s really that easy. Following these three steps three to four times a week will be very beneficial for your oral and overall health. Some people report seeing results as soon as two to three days after starting their routine.
How Does TruthPaste Factor In?
We’re so glad you asked! We find oil pulling so interesting because of the natural ingredients and recipes we use for our toothpaste. TruthPaste has an oil and clay base that gives you a variety of oil pulling benefits every time you brush your teeth. Plus, an oil-based toothpaste also helps cut through plaque in hard to reach places while killing bacteria and whitening your teeth.
Oil pulling has some serious fans—and for good reason. It’s a truly natural and healthy way to improve your oral and bodily health without the addition of toxic or harsh chemicals found in many of today’s popular products. To magnify the benefits of oil pulling, consider adding an oil-based natural, organic toothpaste into your daily morning routine.